Even though often being referred to as the Land of a Million Elephants, Laos borrowed this title from the translation of Lane Xang - the kingdom that, over six hundred years ago, spread throughout present day Laos, southern China and northeastern Thailand. The capital of Lane Xang was Luang Prabang, situated at the confluence of the Khan and Mekong rivers, surrounded by green hills and impresses travelers with its gleaming temple roofs and crumbling French architecture. The town is dominated by the Phu Si hill. On its slopes several wats can be visited, and it is peaked by a 24-metre high stupa, That Chomsi. The top of Phu Si affords astonishing views, especially during the serene sunsets, which are characteristic of Luang Prabang.
The name “Luang Prabang” was derived from the kingdom's palladium – the gold Phra Bang Buddha – an 83cm, gold image of Buddha dispelling fear, was cast in Sri Lanka between the 1st and 9th centuries. It arrived in Lane Xang from Angkor in 1353 after its king, Fa Ngoum, asked his father-in-law, Jayavarman Paramesvara, the Khmer king, to help him spread Theravada Buddhism throughout his new kingdom. It became the kingdom's palladium, and remains a revered devotional object of the Lao people.
While housed in Vientiane, Siamese invaders twice looted the Phra Bang, in 1778 and 1827, and it was twice returned, as the Siamese king believed it would bring bad luck to his country. Returned to Luang Prabang in 1867, the palladium managed to survive the collapse of that kingdom and the city's subsequent sacking by Chinese Haw raiders in the 1890s. However, despite its tenacious relationship with Laos, the Phra Bang's whereabouts today are somewhat vague. luang_prabang_ancient_town.jpgIt is reportedly locked in a deep vault and is brought out only during religious festivals. However, rumor has it that this Phra Bang is a fake and that the Pathet Lao traded the country's palladium for Soviet assistance during the seventies revolution.
Though nothing of Fa Ngoum's original great royal city has survived, Luang Prabang today is a small, peaceful town with a remarkably well-preserved combination of Lao and colonial French architecture, which led to UNESCO World Heritage designation in 1995. The former royal palace of Luang Prabang's last king - built for him by the French at the turn of the century - has been turned into a museum filled with memories of the country's grandiose history. Here, in a small chapel, can be found a copy of the Phra Bang - a last tenuous link to the once great Kingdom of a Million Elephants. This picturesque destination will be a good choice for tourists who enjoy Laos travel and intend to take part in Laos tours for their Laos holidays.
Wat Xiengthong, the most beautiful designed art. Closely observation we can see the three roofing, covered by the brown sheets. All designs are identified the art of Lanexang. Another interested thing are the small Buddha images. The aide of the temple which painted in and made by the different colors grasses. Looked very strange to eyes and show the Lord Buddha images.In front of the temple there is the cart for carry the coffin of the king Sri Savangvong and his family. This cart the base are red. Many designed have shown. The new art that Luang Prabang people are very pleased.
Wat Visoun is one temple is very important for the history because is the seat of Prabang Buddha images. The Buddha images for the after the black warriors destroyed Luang Prabang.
Another attractive site is That Makmo look like half of watermelon. It was destroyed many times by the black warriors to clear for the properties. It is seemed that the golden Buddha image and the silver wares could be found here in the restoration work in the year 1984 lunar calendar. These significant heritage from this place can be seen in the old place. In summary regarding to Wat Visoun from many times of restoration works, there are many art design of Thailu, Sip song Phanna, Thaiphuan, Muong Xieng Khouang and Lao Lanexang which are aired from other pagoda in Luang Prabang.
Wat Ou Tay is situated in Ban Ou Tay village, a short distance from the main road. According to local villagers, it was constructed over 500 years ago by Payachakawatilasa, making it one of the eldest Pagoda's in Laos and the district of Gnot Ou.
The Royal Palace Museum was contracted 1904-1909 as King Sisavang Vong's palace. These days it functions as a museum. It houses the royal throne and some interesting royal artifacts. The building itself feature of French beaux-arts styles and traditional Lao motifs. The ground floor of the museum is divided into several halls and rooms that are displayed gifts from other countries to the Lao kings and collations of swords and Buddha images. The room to right of the entry hall, once the King's reception room, has walls covered with large-scale murals painted in 1930 by the French artist Alix de Fautereau. They depict scenes from traditional Lao life. A room in the rear of the former palace contains a small collection of traditional musical instruments and dancers masks used for performances of the great Indian and Southeast Asia epic the Ramayana.
The spectacular Kuang Si waterfall is situated 29 km south of Luang Prabang deep in the forest. The waters tumble over multi-tiered limestone formations into several cool, turquoise-green pools ideal for relaxation and swimming.
Equally fascinating are the Par Ou caves, which can be reached by a 2-hour boat trip upstream from Luang Prabang. They are located within the steep rock-cliff, which rises vertically from the waters of the Mekong River at the point where it meets with the Nam Ou River.
Tham Ting Cave is 40 km north of the city. The amazing to that place made the tourists to go upstream by boat about 2 hours. Within the cave there are many hands of rock. At very corner, the Buddha images are placed granted by the worshipers. There are the collected arts of many hundred years of the Buddhist people. At the present no on and guess how old the Buddha images year were. In front of the cave, the Nam Ou river meets the Mekong river can be compared that the north gate very important of the strategy. In addition to these, Tham Ting has important role in the old tradition where the king that arrived her in the Lao new year day.In front of Tham Ting, Pha Ene Mount is on the left bank of Nam Ou river. It looks like the bald rocky mount on the top. Its shape is alike the coffin called Phouphalong and this mount is also representing the legend of the love story of Kounlou and Nang Oua.
Fishing village Bane Pak Ou: On the eastern bank of the Mekong River opposite the caves of Tam Ting is Bane Pak Ou is a fishing village, which regularly supplies fish to the market in Luang Prabang.
Rice field The village grows rice in the paddy fields behind the village.
Shopping around the town The village is a peaceful place with a thriving elementary school small shops sell among other things.
Sayabouri is situated in the north west of Lao; sharing borders with Vientiane and Luang Prabang in the east and with six Thailand provinces in the West. Sayabouri is the most attractive destinations with sights and charms peculiar to itself and picturesque North-west region. There are many beautiful things to see in Sayabouri. The principal town in commonly called Muang Sayabouri, where many impressive temples such as Wat Ban Thin, Wat Ban Phapoun and Wat Ban Natonoy are located
The capital of the province, Sayabouri is on the banks of the Nam Hung, a tributary of the Mekong. The province houses the Nam Phoun National Biodiversity Conservation Area, which is 1150 sq km of forested hills, contains Asiatic black bear, dholes, elephant, guar, gibbon, Malayan sun bear and Sumatran rhino. The landscape here is magnificent by several peaks altitudes of more than 1000 meters; the meadows and pastures with flower in full boom; the thick and tangled virgin forests etc.
The area of Muang Phieng, such as Ban Fainamtan, Ban Nakhem and Ban Nampoui have a tradition of agriculture because the land is fertile, which is suitable for agricultural production; particularly rice, water melons, cabbages and sugar cane. The southern part of the province has many scenic waterfalls, but getting around this part of the province is very difficult. About the agricultural product, according to the local traditional, people who live in this area have been using elephant for pulling logs.
|LUANG PRABANG ATTRACTION|